Bombs at Palace of Justice and a restaurant
Dozens killed and injured
6th anniversary of start of Syrian uprising
- Syrian state TV says a suicide bomber targeted Damascus Palace of Justice.
- Police say at least 25 people have been killed, AFP reported
- Syria’s official news agency says at least 25 killed, AP reported
- Syria’s Minister of Justice says 31 dead and 60 injured in Damascus suicide attack, Al Jazeera Arabic reported
- NEW A police source told AFP 32 people died and 100 were injured
- NEW The Syrian Observatory of Human Rights said at least 39 people had been killed, The Washington Post reported
- The bomber set off his explosive device after police stopped him from entering the building, Ahmed al-Sayyid, a senior state legal official told al-Ikhbariya TV, the Guardian reported.
- Damascus police chief Mohammad Kheir Ismail told Syrian state TV the attack was at 1.20pm, when a man in military uniform and carrying a shotgun and grenades arrived at the entrance to the palace, the Guardian reported.
State TV reported a second Damascus blast. AFP says the explosion was at a restaurant in Rabweh district and caused deaths and injuries.
- NEW 25 people were injured in the restaurant explosion, a police source told AFP
- The Ikhbariyeh TV channel said the restaurant attacker was chased by security agents into a restaurant where he detonated an explosive vest, AP reported.
- NEW Reports a third bomb was defused near President Bridge in Damascus city center
- March 15 marks the 6th anniversary of the Syrian uprising against Bashar al-Assad.
- Attack follows a double bombing in Damascus on March 11 that killed at least 40 people which was claimed by Jabhat Fateh al-Sham, Syria’s al-Qaeda branch.